View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yabusame-KOTR

re: A Ranger Class Guide

1. General information on class
Rangers are in the Scout archetype with Assassins are a sub-class of the Predator class.

2. Why pick your class over another
Rangers have the potential to generate high DPS in single target and AoE events especially when mobility and 'staying ranged' is an issue. Focus Aim which becomes Nature's Focus for the group enables skill increases plus accuracy. I have realized groups often request for Hawk Attack to pet pull plus it can be used for pushing group's hate to the tank.

3. AA choice
Use the left side Prestige for single target and fights that require to be more than 15 meters. Another option for left side Prestige is to enable some shielding for the group using blazing shot.

Use the right side Prestige for ae events.

Because of the changes added in the AoM Expansion, it is tantamount to select Toxic Expertise from the Intelligence line in the Predator tree. Rangers receive a boost to damage when using Caustic poisons if they select that in the Ranger's AA.

Predator

Ranger

Shadows

Heroic

Dragon

Ranger's Prestige

left

right

4. Spells/combat arts discussion, basics on your stuff.
Flanking/Rear attacks are important for Predators. Smokebomb is a good AA for dehate, AE damage and enables stealth. 

5. Hot bar setup
Of the ranged CAs I use the faster ones in the row above the AoE ones. From the left they are in order of casting speed or recasting time.

Screen

6. Group buffs and individual buffs and why you use them where.
Pathfinding is basically obsolete but I use it.

7. Pre pull buffs
Honed Reflexes and Killing Instinct stack so use them at same time. Save Makeshift Arrow buff for nameds unless plenty of time during trash events. Focus Aim which becomes Nature's Focus for group will grant group members around 125 weaponry skills and around 25% accuracy for 20 seconds. With reuse above 70% its recast caps at 30 seconds.

8. Casting order, combat arts/spells, temp buffs, etc.

With the AoM Expansion, I like to use Dagger Storm and Sniper Barrage as often as possible from the Ranger Prestige. It is important to lead with Rapid Salvo or Blazing Shot depending on Prestige should be used as far as CAs that do damage. For the right side Prestige, I like Stream and Storm, then Arrow Barrage then Explosive Arrow. When using the left side Prestige, casting order is more important because of bonus to double attacks so I use Searing and Triple, then Sneak Attack>Emberstrike>Stalk>Ranger's Blade. I do not like Survival Attacks because of slow casting and reuse but a lot of Ranger's use it. Bloody Reminder should be in fights that do not burn quickly to allow the DoT to reach its potential, and this CA is time-warpable. Dragon Claw is good to cast when about to hit with harder CAs because of its potency boost. 

9. Oh no buttons, when things go bad.
Move Escape away from commonly used CAs

10. Gear choices
Can do either Weapon Damage Bonus or CB/Pot gear.
If WDB, 7k or so in AbMod is a good goal; if CB/Pot, 10k would be good. This is so that the higher AbMod will make up for less Potency. Weaponry skill should be 1200 or so.

11. Adornment choices
CB everywhere it will go but Flurry is good for shoulders and many choose AE for legs. Agi is good where it can go. Ability mod adorns mean very little especially with how easy it is to reforge into it.

Purple War Runes:

Bolstered Attributes

Harrowed Madness

Screams of Battle

Magnitude or Truespirit's Legacy

12. Deity/other items (mana stone, etc)
Overclocked Life and Mana stones are helpful. Elixir of Deftness gives a good boost to Agi/Sta. Ahrnatal's Ringmail Purse for the poison DPS of the 'purple ring'. It stacks within group. It drops in Dominion so may be difficult to obtain but the Novelty Card from ToV is common and grants temp 100% bonus to CB damage and weaponry skill plus a dehate.

13. Macros you use
For Exploit Weakness, put /cancel_spellcast in command then Exploit weakness below it. This will make it so when it triggers you can press the macro and not wait for a CA to complete before casting Exploit Weakness.

14. Useful tools you use (outside of game) - including download links
ACT and RaidHub, EQ2U, Dragon's Armory

15. Video

Last edited by Yabusame-KOTR on 06/16/2016 7:41 pm; edited 15 times in total

Thanks Yab! Book sent

I don't know much about rangers... but with the cb/potency gear, the max ability mod would higher then in the wdb gear. Why would you suggest LESS ability mod for the gear that can make use of more?

Yabusame-KOTR

I had the numbers for AbMod backwards; I noticed while testing. Rather than aiming at making the wbd vs cb/pot balanced I usually try to max AbMod so passive abilities get max benefit. Currently I am checking if I boost AbMod over 15k if the returns will be better than having 10 more wbd in the helm slot. :)

Last edited by Yabusame-KOTR on 09/17/2014 11:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

Yabusame1 wrote:

My take on it is to boost AMod if potency is low to make it closer to what cb/pot would be.

The higher your potency the more abilty mod that you can actually make use of... since max ability mod is determined by the {(base damage +[base damage* potency/100]) * stat bonus/100}/2... so the higher your potency the more ability mod you can make use of.

If your potency is low, getting more ability mod isn't going to help because you're going to cap out on abilty mod.. because your potency is low..

Yabusame-KOTR

Rangers focus on auto-attack damage, capping DPS and Haste and boosting one of them depending on Prestige, having AE Auto around 100%. In addition due to the current expansion can easily obtain 70% or more in Casting Speed and Recast. Typically AM is the last to be raised b/c of the Mythical proc that does 20% AM based on Agility. The rationale of increasing less on raising AM with CB/Pot than WDB is to make either set up to be similar because of the loss of combat damage due to less potency. If Rangers were a class dependent on CA damage it would focus more on AM.

According to my profile at Yabusame @ Dragon's Armory a few of the AM Caps:

Makeshift Arrows VII: 4527

Stream of Arrows IV: 20834

Storm of Arrows IV: 23108

Emberstrike IX: 15829

re: And there is more...

A forum thread recently at EQ2 Forums:

Ranger Guide ToV

EQ2Flames:

Ranger Info Consolodation Thread

A few points:

Autoattack does about 30% now instead of 40% because of ToV itemization. If it is 40ish, press more CAs.

Jewelry procs will make up a lot of the parse by doing DD or boosting CB or Potency.

Updated.

Jump to: